THE SKI DECK®
WHY THE SKI DECK®?
THE SIMPLEST, SAFEST AND QUICKEST WAY OF LEARNING TO SKI & SNOWBOARD!
• Guaranteed 30,000m of skiing on the course. Easily the best investment that you could ever make to add value to your ski holiday.
• 30 years of teaching experience.
• With a bar for support, beginners get a safe and secure start. The bar also provides invaluable support to master the basic stance - get this right and you are halfway there.
• Because The Ski Deck® and The Carver® provide continuous skiing and repeated repetitions of the same manoeuvre.
• The instructor is within arm's reach and providing instruction WHILE YOU ARE SKIING!
• The student is able to perform with rhythm and fine tune each turn to perfection - essential for both beginners and advanced skiers. There is no stop start, no waiting, no time wasted getting back to the top.
• The Ski Decks® are over 4.5 meters wide - anything less than this is not conducive to accurate turns or learning to carve. The Power Carver is 5.5m wide.
• Beginners learning on snow are hindered by continually changing conditions and the need to walk back up the slope to repeat the exercises - a difficult and time-consuming process.
• Advanced skiers will be able to master carving techniques on The Ski Deck and then upgrade to the Sky Tec® Power Carver.
• Why practice for 6 hours and do less than a few kilometres of skiing when you can do 40 or 50kms in the same period on The Ski Deck®? ... NOW THAT'S LEARNING!
SIX HOURS ON THE SKI DECK®; MEANS YOU WILL BE DOING IN A FEW DAYS WHAT WOULD HAVE TAKEN YOU A WEEK OR 10 DAYS TO DO.
BOOK YOUR SKI LESSONS ON THE SKI DECK® & POWER CARVER® NOW!
• Continuous surface gives never-ending slope.
• No waiting time; no walking up slopes - Beginners practice skiing exercises within minutes of starting lesson.
• Normal ski equipment, ski boots, poles and bindings are used.
• For advanced skiers the surface can simulate a steeper slope by increasing speed by +-30km/h.
• Control Boxes enable skiers to be stopped immediately.
The skier or boarder should arrive early for the first lesson to complete book work and they will then fitted out with their equipment ( getting to know your equipment, in particular ski boots, will help you select the correct equipment when you arrive in the resort). The student stands on the slope holding onto a bar and is firmly balanced and relaxed as the motor rotates the upward moving surface.
While supporting themselves on the bar the student can perfect his skiing or snowboarding stance and repeat the exercises on the rotating wet slippery surface under guidance from the instructor. When the instructor is satisfied that the pupil has mastered a certain technique the speed of the carpet is increased then the pupil is gradually introduced to more advanced skiing techniques. The instructor stands on the non-moving platform and can easily pick out and correct any faults in the pupils technique, making for an almost perfect result. The student need not fear rapidly gathering speed as the instructor is on hand to control the speed of rotation and/or stop the machine.
WHEN ARRIVINGIN THE RESORT
After a six lesson course the average beginner is ready for the slopes and can expect to ski freely in a day or two, in control and without fear. Skiers & Boarders will need the first few hours on the snow to get used to the difference in surface. This should be done on a normal beginners slope so that falls are minimized and hard earned technique does not fly out the window. Working through the same progression as experienced on The Ski Deck skiers will soon be doing confident basic turns and going up ski lifts while ENJOYING themselves. A look around will confirm you are already way ahead of any other skier just started.
WHAT IF I AM ALREADY BOOKED FOR SKI SCHOOL LESSONS IN THE RESORT?
Do not cancel these lessons. If you have done the course on The Ski Deck use these lessons to build onto the technique that you already have - besides they are an enjoyable part of your ski experience and a good way to meet other skiers. You are then well equipped to progress quickly through the ski school system. If for example you have now been up the ski lift and are doing nice linked turns by lunch time on the first day then the instructors are obliged to progress you to the higher class using the ski lifts! If you are now showing good signs of outstripping this class by the
second day then you should find yourself joining skiers who have already been skiing for a week or more. You will be happy that you still haven't got to the level we have taught you on the deck yet. Sometimes you may need to engineer a move to the next level. Practice hard on the first few days as these are the most important.
LOSS OF CONFIDENCE?
We specialize in rebuilding skier's confidence. If you or a member of the family (yes, ladies I am talking about you) didn't quite make it on the last ski holiday send them to us. We will rebuild their confidence by giving them the technique to get over those few initial hurdles and they will be the first one to suggest going skiing again next year.
You wouldn't go Scuba Diving without taking the course! By investing in lessons before you go you will have a strong basic ski technique - without the bad habits? This will carry you through the rest of your ski career.
FITNESS AND SAFETY?
At the end of each Ski Deck lesson (1 hour) you will physically feel the same as if you have skied for the whole day (+- 6 hours) thus you will gain a day of ski fitness with each lesson. Please, book your lessons well in advance so as to allow recovery time between lessons (it allows the Instructors to help you better).
As a Beginner once you have the technique then you begin to relax and so the lesson becomes easier, and so you relax and so the technique gets better ...... until we have you doing some quite advanced skiing in an easy and relaxed manner. What a pleasure to have done all of this hard work so that you can enjoy your holiday. If you have done a course of 6 lessons then you will be skiing in 2 days what would have taken you a week (or even 10 days) to do. You will fall far less often (estimated 70 % less) on the snow and thus be far less (+-70% less) likely to injure yourself... sort of like an indirect medical insurance package ? If you can only fit in 1 or 2 lessons it doesn't matter -do them as each one counts !
We can email you some recommended exercises to do to prepare for The Ski Deck and the slopes. Do not do lots of exercise just before a ski lesson !
CALL IN AT THE SKI DECK® IN FERNDALE AND SPEAK TO OUR EXPERT INSTRUCTORS, SEE A CLASS IN ACTION AND SEE FOR YOURSELF THE WONDERFUL ADVANTAGES OF THE SKI DECK®.
THE NEW ADDITIONAL STATIC SLOPE (WHEN AVAILABLE) ALLOWS YOU TO ADD 15 - 20 MINUTES TO EACH LESSON ABSOLUTELY FREE